Last week, I took transit from my home in central Edmonton to the north side; all within Ward Anirniq. I haven't taken transit since the Bus Network Redesign was implemented and wanted to experience it first-hand.
Here are a few of my key takeaways:
- I really enjoy taking transit and want to get back to more transit trips as things continue to open up.
- There are some concerns that need to be addressed:
- The walking distance between stops and final destination. I had to walk 1 km after getting off the bus to my final destination. This is concerning for anyone with mobility limitations, that is carrying lots of items, or with little ones as a few examples.
- The amount of transfers and the distance between stops and destinations can be concerning from a safety perspective, especially when it's dark.
- The need for a smart phone/ data to navigate the system (on demand busses, the transit app).
- Being able to not have to use transit during the pandemic is a privilege.
- The Bus Network Redesign has been implemented. Let's work with the system we have and make sure we are listening to feedback for continuous improvement and barrier removal.
I want to acknowledge that this was just one experience on ETS and not a comprehensive review. I'd love to hear about your experiences using the new transit system.